Phoenix Natural Gas - Facts About the Industry
Facts About the Industry
- The ongoing investment within the Phoenix Licensed Area does not attract any grant or support from local or UK Government. The investment is a standalone private venture.
- Kellen Acquisitions Ltd wholly owns the Phoenix Natural Gas Group since October 2005. Kellen Acquisitions Ltd is a company formed at the direction of Terra Firma. Terra Firma is a well-established private equity manager. Guy Hands founded it in 1994. The funds it invests are raised from financial institutions and other large investors.
- The Phoenix Natural Gas Group has around 200 employees – all employed locally.
- In addition to the private shareholder natural gas investment, the wider natural gas industry is investing in the local economy. Over £500 million has been invested by all involved with the Gas Industry over the last 15 years - most of this employing local labour to convert homes and businesses to natural gas.
- There are around 500 companies in Northern Ireland employing 1,500 Gas Safe registered installers.
- A buoyant local gas industry has developed and brought much needed local employment and skills.
- There were over 148,000 homes and businesses connected to natural gas at the end of December 2011.
- On average there were 187 new customers connected to the natural gas network every week in 2011.
- Approximately one kilometre of new natural gas network has been constructed each working day since 1996.
- On average Northern Ireland domestic natural gas consumers use less gas than natural gas consumers in Great Britain. As a major energy provider, the Phoenix Natural Gas Group has a duty to promote the efficient use of our product. We endeavour to train relevant staff and promote energy efficiency whilst providing free advice to customers. Furthermore, gas installers are trained to install and explain the advantages of heating controls.
- Over 3,147 kilometres of new gas pipelines had been constructed across Greater Belfast by the end of December 2011
- Approximately 70% of the gas infrastructure has been completed using “No Dig” technology.
- Natural gas is available to the vast majority of businesses, new build developments, public housing and to an increasing number of private residential areas. More than 291,000 properties had access to natural gas at the end of December 2011 – 51% of these properties were using it.
- Compared to alternative fuels, natural gas customers prevented almost 230,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere in 2011. That's the same amount of air pollution as removing over 72,000 cars from the road for a year.
- Compared to alternative fuels, natural gas industrial and commercial customers prevented over 6,500 tonnes of sulphur dioxide from entering the atmosphere in 2011. Compared to alternative fuels, natural gas domestic customers prevented 800 tonnes of sulphur dioxide from entering the atmosphere in 2011.
In an Emergency...